Translate

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Andy Warhol drawing of Ulrik Trojaborg


Ulrik Trojaborg; 1986; Graphite on paper; With the 'The Estate of Andy Warhol' and 'Authorized by the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts' inkstamps and numbered 115.315 on verso; Framed floated on an acid free linen mat, with a high gloss white wood frame, and UV conservation clear glass.

To purchase this work or to visit the Art Gallery, CLICK HERE

Ulrik Trojaborg was the former Creative Director of the Keith Haring Foundation and an extremely accomplished dancer and who had even studied under the world famous choreographer, George Balanchine.  It was through the NY City Ballet that Ulrik met Andy Warhol.

"I was friendly with Andy towards the end of his life and he wanted to paint my portrait. I think that this drawing was one of the studies for the actual portrait. I was working for Peter Martins at the New York City Ballet at that time (I'd been a dancer there as well) and we were preparing the American Music Festival - must have been 1986 - and various well-known artists were doing work for us to be shown as front curtains for the ballets. Andy was going to do a great curtain for us unfortunately he died before it could happen. I think I'm also mentioned towards the end of his diaries. He liked coming to the ballet and hanging out with us after. He was a very big influence on all of us who were privileged to get to know him." - Ulrik Trojaborg, 2014


Andy Warhol Estate stamp, Foundation stamp, and Authentication number on verso

This drawing is a wonderful profile of Ulrik with the drawing of his hair fading into the deckled edge of the thick paper.  In addition, the drawing is very large with the sheet being 31 1/4"x 23 1/2" and the framed work an impressive 43 1/2"x 35 1/2".  This was a large format drawing study for the canvas paintings that were eventually produced.

"Andy did Jock's (Soto), Heather Watt's, and my portrait at the same time as we'd all become friendly with him. As you know, Andy worked with multiples so there were several versions of my portrait. I have one that he gave me shortly before he died and I know the Foundation or the Warhol Museum have at least one as a version of my portrait was included in the DIA/Beacon Warhol portrait show. I think I hung between Eleanor Roosevelt and Stephen Sprouse." - Ulrik Trojaborg, 2014


Framed drawing of Ulrik Trojaborg

No comments:

Post a Comment